PDA

View Full Version : T-37 simulator help need to wire instruments

jetjockey30
09-25-2007, 10:45 PM
does anyone have clue how to wire actual production made simulator instruments? I have a singer link trainer for the t-37 and i need help, schematics anything!

www.californiaaerospacetechnicalcenter.org (http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/www.californiaaerospacetechnicalcenter.org)

Michael Carter
09-26-2007, 09:59 AM
I can't speak for all commercial simulators, but many require 400hz @115 VAC to operate many of the electric instruments and other equipment. Static inverters are often used to convert one frequency to another and they are very expensive.

Pull your ADI or HSI out of the panel and look for the specs. You'll know right away what you will need for power.

For a commercial simulator, I'm not sure how you integrate it into FS, but I'm sure it could be done with enough money and knowlege.

The link you posted is bad.

Mike.Powell
09-26-2007, 11:13 AM
You may have a mixture of instruments designed for simulator use, and flight-rated instruments with external conversion electronics. Without documentation on the simulator system, it's hard to provide specific wiring advice.

In general terms you likely are dealing with at least some 400 Hz, synchro-based instrumentation. It is certainly possible to interface this to a PC. There are modules made specifically for this task, though they tend to be expensive. You can avoid the expense of commercial modules by building your own.

Four hundred Hz power will indeed be a factor. You might be able to pick up a rotary inverter through Ebay. This is basically a 60 Hz motor driving a 400 Hz alternator. A static inverter produces 400 Hz power without moving parts. Nicer, but more expensive.

If you have pictures of instruments (any labels, connectors, inside views), we might be able to say more.

Michael Carter
09-26-2007, 11:19 AM
BTW, the link is good. You have to edit out the www.mycockpit.org at the front of the address in the address bar.

jetjockey30
09-26-2007, 07:09 PM
Yeah this sim has been a thorn in my side for almost 7 months. but, the good thing is its painted and i have all the instruments except one and would ya guess its the friggin clock lol. ill have to go back on my web site and update the pictures. i just went out to the paint shop the other day for a few issues they were having with what to paint and what not to paint. I will be at the apple valley,california airshow on the 13th of october if anyone is interested in seeing my monster 6,000 lb dog whistle lol. And if ya have any more ideas or suggestions throw them my way. i have found out that my instruments were made by tokyo instruments if that helps......

Lee