PDA

View Full Version : Reality XP

Yoshi
09-13-2007, 03:32 PM
Hi,

on my web journey I stumbled on Reality XP (http://www.reality.xp.com). Does anybody have some experiences to share concerning this software?
This site (http://excitingsimulations.com/cockpit/gauges.htm) says it's not running in a networked environment, is this still true? How doest it compare to Project Magenta RJ?

So many questions... "much to learn I have..." :D

Cheers

Yoshi

Trevor Hale
09-13-2007, 03:39 PM
Reality Xp is nice software but it needs to run on the flightsim pc. For instance Project Magenta runs on stand alone PC's running Wide Client. Reality XP replaces your aircraft panel.

Yoshi
09-13-2007, 03:52 PM
Hi Trev,

thanks for your fast reply, things become clearer now. Seems as if there is no way without PM... *sigh*

Cheers

Yoshi

Trevor Hale
09-13-2007, 03:55 PM
Well hold on there.....

Gwyn, is a perfect example of a complete simulator that runs on one PC. Even though there are multiple monitors, his sim runs great on one PC only. But that is also because the PMDG allows you to do this. (Undock) the instruments and drag them onto another monitor.

Trev

Tomlin
09-13-2007, 04:23 PM
I too had hoped that Reality XP would be useful, but not for my project. Nice software for some gauges though. Their GPS' are really nice.

JBaymore
09-13-2007, 05:43 PM
Hi Trev,

thanks for your fast reply, things become clearer now. Seems as if there is no way without PM... *sigh*

Cheers

Yoshi

Yoshi-san,

There are some other options. Take a REALLY GOOD look at Gwyn's setup here on this forum. If you can configure the panels you want in the sim itself and can then undock them... then you can use his route to solving all of this.

Or look at some of the other "run on a network" gauge possibilities. There is FSXpand, the coming Ellie Systems offerings, FreeFD (freeware - unfinished but OK for some stuff), Opencockpits and a few others.

If none of these offerings fits you needs.... well..... looks like PM (en ga takusan desu yo)...... shoga nai ne'.

ato de,

.....................john

AndyT
09-14-2007, 01:00 AM
Yoshi,

What plane did you say you were building again?

spitfire9
09-14-2007, 02:29 AM
I thought Widefs allowed you to run your aircraft instruments ,gps, or your 2d panels, etc on one pc while running your outside view on another pc ??

Does it not do this ?

Yoshi
09-14-2007, 03:48 AM
Yoshi,

What plane did you say you were building again?
I didn't say I'm already building a plane ;-)

At the moment I'm testing several aircrafts to find out which one will get the price.

Cheers

Yoshi

AndyT
09-14-2007, 04:08 AM
Yoshi,

Ok. I guess the first thing to do then is decide which plane you would like to model your cockpit after. Once you have that much info, your decision process will be cut by two thirds (2/3). Decide between Smaller GA planes, Medium Planes Private/Commercial or, Large planes. Any of these general size catagories can be made more flexible by building a generic cockpit that is suitable for many different planes.

Good luck in your decision.

Yoshi
09-14-2007, 04:33 AM
Well, actually I already narrowed it down to the bizjet category :D
The "only" thing to decide is the aircraft - so far I have thought about the following:

Falcon 900EX - not anymore as it doesn't give me that certain feeling in my stomach.
Citation 550B - no good model for FS* available.
Citation X - practising on this aircraft at the moment, but it's also not thee one.
Learjet 45 XR - Eric pointed me to this one, regarding its design it's my absolute favorite. Not sure about system simulation though, have to investigate further.

Cheers

Yoshi

Trevor Hale
09-14-2007, 07:22 AM
I thought Widefs allowed you to run your aircraft instruments ,gps, or your 2d panels, etc on one pc while running your outside view on another pc ??

Does it not do this ?

The software has to support that feature otherwise it will ignore Wide FS

Bob Reed
09-14-2007, 02:20 PM

Does it not do this ?

No... You are confusing WideFS with WideView. WideView requires FS to be installed and working on a remote PC to use. With tis you can get some instruments (undock and set where you want them) or outside multiple views. There are good points and bad with this type of system. Also there are some after market gauge software that will allow you to run them on a remote computer with WideFS but WideFS does not allow this on it's own.

Tomlin
09-14-2007, 03:07 PM
Yoshi

I personally have to say that the Citation CJ1, Citation X, and Learjet 45 are great considerations. With the Citation CJ1 and X, you have great flight modeling by Eagle Soft and complete systems. However, Eagle Soft has never been very helpful with cockpit builders and you still have the issue of needing undockable software for your gauges (avionic displays).

However, the Wilco Citation X (I believe) will allow you to undock windows and it may work for you.

The reason I didnt build a Citation X/CJ1 was the lack of avionics software at the time, so I bought the PMRJ software. If PM were to implement tape style engine gauges, then a Citation X is very possible to do, but since PMRJ only has round engine gauges, it was a no go for me. Im glad I have chosen the Learjet though for so many reasons.

Yoshi
09-14-2007, 05:08 PM
Well, the Citation X by Wilco is an incredible piece of software. What would be nice to be able to do:
Let other PCs on the network render/display several gauges.

Are there any solutions out there to do such things?

I'd like to split the systems, so the main computer "only" has to render the outside view(s) and calculate the flight dynamics/physics.

Draft for Learjet or Cit X (end stage):
1. FS Server, renders outside views, runs FS
2. Captains side of glass cockpit
3. FOs side of glass cockpit
4. FMC
5. IOCards

Of course I'll start with 2 or 3 PCs, not the whole FS farm in the beginning ;)

Please let me know if this is possible.

Cheers

Yoshi

Bob Reed
09-14-2007, 05:16 PM
Well, the Citation X by Wilco is an incredible piece of software. What would be nice to be able to do:
Let other PCs on the network render/display several gauges.

Are there any solutions out there to do such things?

I'd like to split the systems, so the main computer "only" has to render the outside view(s) and calculate the flight dynamics/physics.

Draft for Learjet or Cit X (end stage):
1. FS Server, renders outside views, runs FS
2. Captains side of glass cockpit
3. FOs side of glass cockpit
4. FMC
5. IOCards

Of course I'll start with 2 or 3 PCs, not the whole FS farm in the beginning ;)

Please let me know if this is possible.

Cheers

Yoshi

This looks like a good plan. Search the board for a thread called gauges, there are a number of companies out there to look at. Maybe later I will have a little time to look around for ya...

Yoshi
09-14-2007, 05:28 PM
Search the board for a thread called gauges, there are a number of companies out there to look at. Maybe later I will have a little time to look around for ya...
Nevermind, I got the keyword for my next board search, thanks for that :mrgreen:
And I already found OpenGC (http://www.opengc.org/) and sent an email to Damion with another bunch of questions... will post results as it will be interesting for other builders I suppose.

Cheers

Yoshi

Bob Reed
09-14-2007, 05:30 PM
And that is what this board is all about!!:D

Yoshi
09-15-2007, 04:00 AM
Hey Bob,

your hint was great!
I found FSXpand, and it seems as if I could do everything I need with this software. Of course I'll ask them if my ideas are crap (from their view) and if it can be done.

You'll be laughing at me - but I'm again not absolutely sure which aircraft I should build...

But I have two finalists: Cit X and LJ 45 XR.

When Eric mentioned the EICAS design with stripes for the engine data kept him from building this pit I started searching if this is possible with newer releases/software. From what I've read and seen on photos/screenshots it should be possible using FSXpand.

Oh, at least one decision is already made: I don't want to use Project Magenta. Don't know why, I just don't like them and never did. Ah... I'm a linux user... perhaps it is that allergy to exploited monopolys in software market :mrgreen:

Cheers

Yoshi

Yoshi
09-15-2007, 11:53 AM
Update:

I found the following software projects for cockpits:

OpenGC (http://www.opengc.org) - dead, no update since 2006.
FreeFD - dead, everybody knows.
Flyreal (http://www.flyreal.com/) - busy with other project, specialized in Airbus.
Flight Deck Software (http://www.flightdecksoftware.com/) - dead, no update since 2006.

Ok, I've got at least one candidate left:
FsXPand (http://cockpitsolutions.com/flyware/) - have to find out though if it is possible to customize the displays to meet Learjet or Citation X.

Cheers

Yoshi

JBaymore
09-15-2007, 12:14 PM
Yoshi,

As I mentioned in the thread above, I have been using FSXpand for quite a while. If you look on their board... you'll see my name in a lot of postings. I supplied the very basic "synoptic display images" they share on the sticky at the top of thier forum. ( http://cockpitsolutions.com/flyware/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=162&PN=1 ) I mainly use FSXpand for my engine information, since FreeFD's engine info module does not seem to work as well as the rest of the package that I am using for the PFD and the ND.

My pit is based (loosely) on the BAe 146-200.... 4 engine regional jet with APU and rudimentary FMC and MCP controls...... so I too do not have a "ready made" set of instruments on the market to draw upon. I "make do" and modify whan I can.

The FSXpand package is VERY customizable and Gert (the author/developer) provides great support. If you are a stickler for the EXACT item in the pit down to typeface and gauge pointer shape... well maybe this will not be perfect. But is SO user configurable that I would be surprised if you can't get what you want.

The FSXpand demo is fully functional... just time limited per session. Download it and try it out.

best,

...................john

ak49er
09-15-2007, 12:30 PM
Yoshi, my .02, remeber where we all probably started, just a key board, maybe a mouse for some of us. Monochromatic screens and two bit sounds. But that then was almost enough. Then came the urge for more accurate control, and then a more accurate simulation. In the end, for me, it's all about the "flying", the yoke, rudder and throtle just make my inputs more accurate. After spending months searching the interent for that last dimension, or panel picture to make it just right, I found myself spending more time googling than flying. I then, made a decision to allow form to follow function. Through every stage of both my simulator at work and at home, I always have had the personal rule to have it flyable when I left the shop, if not flying while working on it. In the end,at work ,I have a flyable MDF built 737NG type simpit, running Free FD, GFD, and RealityXP for my wxr, additianally I downloaded a panel that had a TCAS guage. Using one CPU for FS, feeding one video out to a projector and another to my pedestal monitor I can use both the reality xp guages and any other panel guages that can be undocked and drug over to that screen: this includes FSNAV, the FS GPS for some configurations, the FS TQ, and the FS radio stack. on the ohter CPUS I feed to a monitor each showing usually two screens per monitor (look at my signature on this post) At home my setup is similar, but inside a huey cockpit. I am not huge fan of helos but the pit made it cooler to sim in, and I had already built one out of wood. To this end I am not pigeon holed into flying one type of aircraft. Depending on mood, I can configure more quite a few and attain accurate realism if not ease of use for each. Of course I have a favorite ariframe but I like fllying them all. It sounds like you too have a few favorites. Maybe a biz-jet generic. And you could fly them all. I beleive that simulation is equal to imagination, we all know we are on the ground, but we allow our mind to be tricked. Find your pat, stay true, but most of all fly, man, fly. Additioanlly, I did this with recycled computers, I found a buisness that was upgrading to windows xp, and asked if I could have a few of there old machines, they gave me 23 PIII 300-500mhz machines. after gutting and parts swapping I got 17 usuable machines which of that I use five per sim, none are terribly fast or have much memory, but all do what I need to beleive I am flying, and after all It's recycling.