PDA

View Full Version : foward view--nut and bolts

Ron Buchwald
11-03-2005, 11:37 PM
for some time now I have been tring to get my forward view looking good. I have tried using a front screen projector mounted behind the sim and a screen set out 5 feet from the fwd windows. thats fine but you see off the sides, I have tried to frost plexe glass and mounted them in the windows and then rear screen project to them but this puts the screens way to close and i get a very blockey or poor focus. if you stand back several feet it looks ok. granted I don,t have the $$ to buy 42 in. plasma screens and mount them. so....how are any of you getting a good image out the front.? not to metion the keystone effect I get from the rear screen from the pilots point of view (looks like I am sliding instead of going forward. this can be solve by splitting the display between the two front windows, showing fwd to the pilot and frw rt to co pilot but then he is sliding. any thoughts. Ron. :(

Rodney
11-05-2005, 01:41 AM
Ron,

I did a lot of looking around to find an affordable Projector. The criteria I used was native resolution (1024X768), aspect ratio 16:9 (that is actually wide screen, and I use the native aspect ratio, although wide screen is very good). The reason I use the native aspect ratio is that it completly fills the screen. I knew from reviews I had read, that getting a decent aspect ratio also improved the overall performance of the projector. I wasn't really too concerned over lumens, as I knew it would mostly be used in an unlit area. I bought the Proxima DP2000x from Infocus. A rehab model. It looks and performs like new. It has many functions, and is ceiling mounted, about 8 feet from a home made 4X5 foot screen. I do have some fuzzy text on the desktop, but not in the sim. The projector also has keystone adjustments, but because of the mounting, it is minor. I guess that is one thing I did right. I found out where the projector worked best, according to the space I have, and then placed the pit in that area accordingly. Probably not something you can do right now though. To try and correct your issue with keystone, you would have to reduce the angle it is projecting on the screen, by raising or lowering the unit vertically. I have seen a post or two from folks who used a high quality bed sheet to cover a frame for an excellent screen. I bought some material off ebay, and although it was very inexpensive, I can see the granular effect. Not too bad, but I often wonder what that $50.00 bed sheet would look like. So if anyone would like to know how to build one, drop me an email, I'll send you a small file.

Have you looked at the thread on the FDS site for a forward solution using platic mirror and sentra? Two or three folks are using it and are very satisfied. In fact, once I get farther along, I will go that route too.

warvet
11-14-2005, 05:42 AM
Rodney,
Hi guys ya I was the nut that created that curved mirror situation lol. Mine actually works really well and certainly solves all distance problems. I am moving on however to a 61" front monitor and 2 21" LCD flat screen sides incredible clarity!!! The other route I may go is 2 37" not sure yet. For video card Ill use a matrox Parhelia triple head 256 or 512mb giving me a surround picture without having to use wideview and sync them all. Anyway the mirror is a very good way to go :)

Tim
A340
Canada

Matt Olieman
11-14-2005, 11:18 AM
I'm still waiting for my curved screen framing to be finished (It's a freebie) so I can't complain:) But I'll use the WARVET's principle. I've got the Mylar to make the curved mirror. Fantastic creation WARVET!!!

Regarding "Screen Material", you'll be surprised to read this....... for a $1.66, white table top plastic sheet. It is SUPER white and can be used as rear projection material too. Ask Bob Reed, he's seen it.

Rodney
11-14-2005, 11:54 AM
Tim,
I want to be clear on the Matrox and surround views. It's only the forward view right? The one thing i miss is the perfial left view while landing.

warvet
11-14-2005, 08:03 PM
Thanx Matt :D glad I could help the community a lil, you have definitely helped me unbelievably over the years and thank you for that. Rodney the Matrox will be spread out over 3 views front (projector or main HDTV) left and right (19-21" LCD Flat screens).This helps alot when taxiing and turning in the air. You can set the conecting views to be front left/right or lateral left/right either is your call. Hope this answers the question.

Tim
A340
Canada

bowingic
11-14-2005, 10:59 PM
Hi Tim
I would like to implement your great solution, but have had trouble sourcing the plastic mirror in Australia....have found an A4 size one but not any larger. Can you advise a supplier who will ship overseas and the approximate price you have to pay for such a mirror? I can obtain the main large white plastic screen here.
Many Thanks

warvet
11-15-2005, 12:06 AM
Ian,
Hi mate no problem let's see if we can get ya sorted http://strategis.ic.gc.ca/app/ccc/search/navigate.do?language=eng&portal=1&estblmntNo=123456245285&profile=completeProfile these guys are very good friends of mine just down the street. Talk to Jeff Osborne the general manager tell him I sent ya and to give ya the best deal lol :D He'll get you all sorted tell him you want the same mirror setup as I use in my sim. Also he is an amazing fabricator all custom he is amazing show him plans and he can make it, ie throttles, levers etc. Price prob about $75.00-$100.00 before shipping approx. Hope this helps ya out Ian.

Tim
A340
Canada

bowingic
11-15-2005, 08:00 PM
Many thanks Tim....may have some other questions further down the track!

Rodney
11-16-2005, 12:15 AM
Tim,

him plans and he can make it, ie throttles, levers etc. Would this mean from drawings? Like the ones that are floating around on the net from Pedro Bibiloni on http://personal.telefonica.terra.es/web/fagase/cabina/descargas_en.htm. I would love to find someone to do this. Maybe even local, but at this point, I'll try about anything.

warvet
11-16-2005, 12:24 AM
Rodney,
If you send pics to Jeff I know he could build it. :)By the way that link page is closed.

Tim
A340
Canada

Ron Buchwald
11-25-2005, 07:25 PM
Ron,

I did a lot of looking around to find an affordable Projector. The criteria I used was native resolution (1024X768), aspect ratio 16:9 (that is actually wide screen, and I use the native aspect ratio, although wide screen is very good). The reason I use the native aspect ratio is that it completly fills the screen. I knew from reviews I had read, that getting a decent aspect ratio also improved the overall performance of the projector. I wasn't really too concerned over lumens, as I knew it would mostly be used in an unlit area. I bought the Proxima DP2000x from Infocus. A rehab model. It looks and performs like new. It has many functions, and is ceiling mounted, about 8 feet from a home made 4X5 foot screen. I do have some fuzzy text on the desktop, but not in the sim. The projector also has keystone adjustments, but because of the mounting, it is minor. I guess that is one thing I did right. I found out where the projector worked best, according to the space I have, and then placed the pit in that area accordingly. Probably not something you can do right now though. To try and correct your issue with keystone, you would have to reduce the angle it is projecting on the screen, by raising or lowering the unit vertically. I have seen a post or two from folks who used a high quality bed sheet to cover a frame for an excellent screen. I bought some material off ebay, and although it was very inexpensive, I can see the granular effect. Not too bad, but I often wonder what that $50.00 bed sheet would look like. So if anyone would like to know how to build one, drop me an email, I'll send you a small file.

Have you looked at the thread on the FDS site for a forward solution using platic mirror and sentra? Two or three folks are using it and are very satisfied. In fact, once I get farther along, I will go that route too.

I don't understand what this platic mirror is. can you explain, and where do I find this.? ron.