PDA

View Full Version : Captain & 1st officer headsets

Daveanne
09-09-2007, 02:56 PM
Hi guys, Dave here in England and very impressed with your site too.

I have been reading the threads about cockpit sounds, especialy about only hearing ATC (FS ATC) through sets of headgear.

Can anyone tel me the best way to do this?

Is there an 'off the shelf' ATC programme that will let me plug in a pair of headsets, or, as usual no way to do this with FS

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Dave.:roll:

JBaymore
09-09-2007, 03:54 PM
Hi Dave,

Welcome to the forum.

FSX has the ability to split the ATC sounds onto a USB headset while the rest of the audio goes to the main sound card. Unfortunately, FS9 does not.

One "trick" for FS9 is the Goflight ATC Module at about $145.00 USD. It uses an audio filter and an adjustable squelch circuit to take the ATC out of the audio stream and put it on a headset. Works fair....... not as nice as REALLY split channels. But better than nothing.

If you are flying online, put the Teamspeak program on one of the OTHER computers in the pit from the main flightsim one, and put the headphones onto THAT machine. That way Teamspeak comes thru the headphones and the general sim sounds are elsewhere. You can do the same for the VATSIM software, I think.

Other than that.... for FS9...... I don't think there is a way to do it.

best,

.......................john

Daveanne
09-09-2007, 04:00 PM
Many thansk for the very prompt reply, guess it must be daytime over there?

I will try what you suggest.

Once again many thanks

brianwilliamson
09-09-2007, 08:53 PM
The way I do it in FS9 is to use Radar Contact, which I find very realistic, and set that up on a different computer to FS9. You can then use extra speakers with separate volume control fo First Officer or Captain or headsets.
Cheers...............Brian W.

Geremy Britton
09-10-2007, 11:26 AM
i was wondering this myself actually it's a shame atc and engine noise etc can't be split because i have a real good headset to use but you hear everything not just atc. i suppose i will just have to set the audio sound levels differently so the mix of atc and engine noise is as realistic as possible

Tomlin
09-10-2007, 03:03 PM
I have wondered about VoxATC, and as I understand it, it will soon have the ability to run on a network, hence no more window on the main FS screen.

I enjoyed the video posted here a while back showcasing that software. Now, if we can just get ATC that recognizes ALL of the AI and uses voice, then there's the trick.

Thanks for the explanation of the GF ATC unit, I was wondering about that! I have to wonder if in the sim if it's worth it to have ATC coming thru the headset (wearing a headset at all in the sim) when it's not a must-have, but I guess for that all too common drive to have it the most realistic, it's nice to be able to do it. To me, it's more important to have ATC seperated from all the other sounds more than it being routed thru a headset. Regardless, I have had my interest picqued again by this and will consider it. From what I understand, the GF unit actually allows you to select the ATC options too.

***Does anyone know if this unit will work with Radar Contact? Also, I just wish that the default ATC window could be placed somewhere else on the network besides the main screen or a monitor connected to the main FS PC.

JBaymore
09-10-2007, 09:10 PM
Also, I just wish that the default ATC window could be placed somewhere else on the network besides the main screen or a monitor connected to the main FS PC.

Boy you can say THAT one again.

I also wish that the selection choices (for keypresses) for the choices in the default ATC menu were FAR more consistent. I have a voice recognition program that can send any keypresses I want... but the keypress for something is different depending on when the item comes up.... there is no consistency. F1 can be one thing one time and another thing on another occasion.

And yes, the Goflight ATC unit can send the normal default ATC choices.

best,

.....................john

Polmer
09-11-2007, 07:31 AM
For fs2004 for online atc you can use vatsim along with squawk box.
Squawk box lets you pick which sounds card you want to use.

Same for Voxatc; both versions; they also allow you to pick which sound card will be used and this is set up through the text-to-voice section of the configuration.ou will of course need to sound cards .

Vox is cannot be set up on another computer.

Polmer

Daveanne
09-11-2007, 11:22 AM
Maybe I can help you chaps out with ATC windows and messages?

I am not using PM for my simluator I am just using FS 2004 with as much as I can tag on to it.

Mainly by splitting views from the main FS programe (737NG 800) and "undocking" them to other screens, for the FMC (cant afford one yet), I opened and "undocked" the view to another 14" flat panel monitor in the Centre console in front of the TQ.

It works well, but unfortunately still have to use the mouse to programme it, however it left a space on the right hand side of the screen, which I opened the ATC window and "undocked " it to there, a quick 'save' flight and every time I open it up there it is.

Now the tricky bit, using a little bit of hardware from http://www.opencockpits.com/ (USBKEYS card) and a programme from http://www.wideview.it/ (Key2Mouse), I have installed 9 push buttons on the side of the FMC panel and assigned numbers (1,2,3 etc.) to push buttons, so whenever an ATC command is sent to me I can reply with whatever number is requested to respond too.

If you go to my URL, you can just see the buttons and display in the centre, please excuse the web site, only just started it up.

DaveAnne

Tomlin
09-11-2007, 11:29 AM
If you go to my URL, you can just see the buttons and display in the centre, please excuse the web site, only just started it up.

DaveAnne

Hi, and thanks for your input. Where the URL listed at?

JBaymore
09-11-2007, 11:58 AM
....... however it left a space on the right hand side of the screen, which I opened the ATC window and "undocked " it to there, a quick 'save' flight and every time I open it up there it is.

Daveanne,

You da' MAN! I have NEVER thought of that. DOH! While I currently do not use two monitors on the main FS machine... this is a GREAT way to deal with this. I might set up a small monitor like a PS1 screen for "text communications". I have the Goflight ATC module unit... which allows you to select your responses with an encoder...so that part is already "licked". This pairing could fix a "pet peeve".

Now, how do I move the scrolling green band that is the online "chat" messages when in full screen mode over to THAT location too? Same deal?

THANKS!

best,

.................john

Daveanne
09-11-2007, 12:06 PM
Whoops ! forgot the URL: http://g-holt.co.uk/

About the scrolling messages, never tried it but I suppose the same place, once you've dragged the window to the other screen, re-size it and then drag another along side or underneath it....?

Tomlin
09-11-2007, 02:07 PM
Good to see that youve made such a great start.
I have a question or two for you regarding your yokes but for the sake of keeping topics in the right forum, I will point you to a previous post made by myself here: http://mycockpit.org/forums/showthread.php?p=41239#post41239

eudoniga
09-17-2007, 08:19 AM
... to that purpose, you might wanna try AdvDisp, a small utility from Peter Dowson, available for download from his page @ schiratti.com
The description says:
Removes the Adventure text messages (scrolling or otherwise) from the outside view window and puts them into a controllable window, one you can position yourself to suit your panel.

Is this what you're looking for ?

Hope so.

regards,
EU

Tomlin
09-17-2007, 08:29 AM
... to that purpose, you might wanna try AdvDisp, a small utility from Peter Dowson, available for download from his page @ schiratti.com
The description says:
Removes the Adventure text messages (scrolling or otherwise) from the outside view window and puts them into a controllable window, one you can position yourself to suit your panel.

Is this what you're looking for ?

Hope so.

regards,
EU

I wonder if this would be networkable then?

eudoniga
09-17-2007, 08:35 AM
... since it doesn't use fsuipc+widefs, rather it puts a .dll in the module folder; therefore - as far as I know - it needs to remain on the server.

Radar Contact users know well about it ... eh ?

;)

Three greens,

Eu

Kennair
09-17-2007, 06:13 PM
Eric,

Adv Display can certainly be run on a network computer. I use Radar Contact on a network PC and Adv Display also, which gives me voice and text prompts separate from the main FS PC.

Ken.

Tomlin
12-04-2007, 12:58 PM
Im strongly considering Vox ATC, but I am not certain I will before switching to FSX in the future.

Anyone give it a 5 star vote for FS9, using Ultimate Traffic 2004 on a

AMD 2800 w/ 1gig RAM and 7600GT 256mb vid card?

andarlite
12-04-2007, 03:55 PM
Im strongly considering Vox ATC, but I am not certain I will before switching to FSX in the future.

Vox ATC works with FS9 and FSX so you're not going to need to buy another version when you move to FSX.

Regards,
Henry

Gnorfie
12-29-2007, 04:48 PM
Uhhh??? Thought there were two seperate versions for Voxatc?? Do you really have the fs9 version working on fsx?? That would be a nice one!

Benno

Vox ATC works with FS9 and FSX so you're not going to need to buy another version when you move to FSX.

Regards,
Henry

mpl330
12-29-2007, 05:22 PM
Hi,

On a similsr topic but the other way round - does anyone know of an adapter that would let you take sound from 2 seperate sources e.g. pc1 & pc2 and feed into 1 socket so that you could plug in 1 pair of headphones but hear the sounds from the 2 seperate pcs e.g. pc 1 running Radar Contact & pc 2 running PM Sounds? Dont want to wake the wife on long haul!!!

Sorry if this is going off topic or hijacking...
Cheers
Mike

David Rogers
12-29-2007, 06:36 PM
Hi Mike,

Any basic 4 channel mixer could achieve this.

(2 stereo channels from one source, and 2 from the other source).

You can adjust the balance of each and then use headphones for the mixed audio.

For this type of equipment, check out any of these sites:-

www.absolute247.com (http://www.absolute247.com)
www.dv247.com (http://www.dv247.com)
www.turnkey.co.uk (http://www.turnkey.co.uk)
www.gak.co.uk (http://www.gak.co.uk)

I run a part time Audio Mastering business and buy from all of these vendors. :)

You don't need anything 'posh' - a very basic mixer will do.... this one sells for as low as £40;

http://www.behringer.com/MX602A/index.cfm?lang=eng

Regards,

mpl330
12-29-2007, 07:19 PM
I see, I was thinking of something like the attached but in reverse - 2 plugs and 1 socket - wouldnt that work / not available?
All the best
Mike

David Rogers
12-30-2007, 06:28 PM
That looks like a basic stereo TRS > 2x mono adaptor.

It simply converts the connector types - so the end with one plug is a TRS (Tip / ring / sleeve) stereo connector... (the Left channel is on the tip and the Right channel is on the sleeve).... the lead then splits to individual connectors for left and right.

This type of lead does not mix audio. It's simply an adapator.

If you want to mix 2 (or 4 if we're talking stereo) channels of audio, a mixer is required to merge the analogue audion and set balance between the mixed audio.