PDA

View Full Version : Motion Control Software Open Source

Dutchboy
09-06-2007, 06:06 PM
After reading various posts from Jim_NZ, IanH1960, Wannabeaflyer, and others who are creating motion software to connect FSX to 2-DOF and 3-DOF platforms - I'm wondering if there are other people willing to start an open source project to create FSX motion control software with SimConnect and C#?

I have done quite a bit of the base C# code already as can be seen here: www.simulatormotion.com (http://www.simulatormotion.com/)

Right now I am converting it over to use the KT-5198a motor controller via serial port (thanks Jim!) This time it will also have motor speed and simulator position to work with.
http://www.oceancontrols.com.au/motor_controller/dc_motor_controllers.htm

Thoughts?

whoispankaj
09-07-2007, 04:38 AM
Are you talking about developers who can contribute to your project ?

Jim NZ
09-07-2007, 06:48 AM
Dutchboy ... great idea.

This idea has got to be one of the best idea postings on mycockpit.org.
Sure beats the problem of everyone floundering along, doing "their own thing".
Fantastic idea !!!!
Who said good things come out of Dutchland ???? :) :) :)

Jim NZ

wannabeaflyer
09-07-2007, 08:13 AM
Hi Dutchboy its safe to say from my point of view you hit the nail on the head with this suggestion. Like most i suppose i have great plans for my Humble project and even though its getting bigger by the minute its the challange that pushes my buttons ;-) so not underestimating the task at hand any help in getting my code started cant be a bad thing, Just worked my way through a tutorial By a Guys website " Notasenator " he has a Fab tutorial about starting simconnect so makinh so progress cos now i can begin to try to import data from FSX and will be making an API to see that data live as my first step, I'll then do the same with My K8055 and K5198 Motor controllers before i start to knit them togather as one package. Have a small problem with my K5198 Controller Card and am hoping the guys at Ocean will help me out so's i can move onto the next phase. In a nutshell count me in and when i can confidently post some of my experiances i'll do so Cheers

Matt Olieman
09-07-2007, 09:43 AM
If you want to go into this direction, I can provide a private forum area, ftp to who ever you would approve access.

I would require someone to monitor this area and let me know who should have access.

Something to think about.

Dutchboy
09-07-2007, 12:30 PM
Fantastic!

Whoispankaj, I'm not looking for developers to work on MY PROJECT, I'm looking for people to help me start a group project. I believe open source is the way to go with this.

Jim_NZ, I'm actually Canadian, but my parents are both Dutch so I have been using the "handle" Dutchboy since the good old days of DOOM!

Wannabeaflyer, thanks for the support. What is wrong with your 5198 board?

Ok, so what I'm going to do is clean up my code and add some more descriptive comments and then start the open source project on sourceforge.net.

MattO, a private forum for code discussions/troubleshooting would be perfect. If that is possible, then I would be fine with helping to monitor that area. Any other volunteers are of course welcome.

One thing I should mention, is that I'm getting married in one month, so I won't have as much time this month to code as I would normally have, but I will set this up and get it moving so that we can all contribute.

Dutchboy

whoispankaj
09-07-2007, 12:39 PM
Oh yeah...Thats what i meant..An open source motion control software..
Well guys i surely think this is the way..

Pankaj

Matt Olieman
09-07-2007, 12:52 PM
Fantastic!

MattO, a private forum for code discussions/troubleshooting would be perfect. If that is possible, then I would be fine with helping to monitor that area. Any other volunteers are of course welcome.

Dutchboy

Give me a name for the Forum, and I'll start to set it up.

Matt Olieman
09-07-2007, 02:43 PM
The forum is set up, and I made Dutchboy the Moderator. All this can be changed, You guys set up the rules how you want to operate this forum, I'll leave it up to you.

PM me if you are going to be participant in this project and I'll give you access to the forum.

Trevor Hale
09-07-2007, 03:43 PM
Hey Guys,

Under the User Groups Forum Heading, You can hit this thread.

http://mycockpit.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=150

If you do not have access, you will need to request access from the Moderator above, via Private message.

Hope this tickles your fancy for an Open Source Motion Forum.

Best regards,

Trev

wannabeaflyer
09-07-2007, 03:56 PM
Hi Dutchboy :-) Got in touch with the guys from ocean and they have pointed me to a Badly programmed Controller Chip he was great at coming up with the goods so happy customer all round and great technical backup service and help so happyt customer. basically atmel microcontroller chip was sending out the wrong signals for H bridge and switching sequence was causing red hot Mosfet problems ( Not Good ) but in saying that have not fried anything and other tests Removing the Microcontroller and Forcing Gate inputs high have shown that the H bridge works fine and Motor Spins up & can change direction dependant on which input is triggered OK they are sending me a new controller and Fets so should be in business soon :-)

Dutchboy
09-07-2007, 07:12 PM
Good to hear they have good customer service. I had to put my controller on hold while I tried to find insulators for the mosfets that were thin enough to sandwich between the mosfets and my fat aluminum heat sync.

Found some out of an old power supply I had lying around! All the local electronics shop had were 3mm thick aluminum oxide.

So, I should be able to do tests this weekend if the future wife doesn't have me running around the city looking for flowers or ribbons or some other frilly thing.

Dutchboy

Hi Dutchboy :-) Got in touch with the guys from ocean and they have pointed me to a Badly programmed Controller Chip he was great at coming up with the goods so happy customer all round and great technical backup service and help so happyt customer. basically atmel microcontroller chip was sending out the wrong signals for H bridge and switching sequence was causing red hot Mosfet problems ( Not Good ) but in saying that have not fried anything and other tests Removing the Microcontroller and Forcing Gate inputs high have shown that the H bridge works fine and Motor Spins up & can change direction dependant on which input is triggered OK they are sending me a new controller and Fets so should be in business soon :-)

RobiD
09-26-2007, 09:51 PM
How is the progress going on this project guys.

I have my 2DOF sim built and I'm going down the same road as you. I have my K8055 kit ready to put together and then I'll get the motor controller from Ocean Controls soon.

I'm very interested in your progress. Also willing to input as much as I can. I am not a programmer, but may be able to test and give feedback.

Regards
David

Dutchboy
09-27-2007, 12:56 AM
Hi RobiD,

I have released the first source code, but it is not in a state to control DC motors yet. As soon as we are ready to test, I will post here and let you know. What motor control board are you using? Do you have any pictures of your setup?

AndyT
09-27-2007, 01:16 AM
Which controller are you writing for?
Which sim are you writing for?

RobiD
09-27-2007, 01:59 AM
Hi RobiD,

I have released the first source code, but it is not in a state to control DC motors yet. As soon as we are ready to test, I will post here and let you know. What motor control board are you using? Do you have any pictures of your setup?

Thank you.

I do have some pictures and I'll try to post them asap.

I am about to buy the KT 5198 board from Ocean controls for the motor controller.

RobiD
09-27-2007, 02:01 AM

I will be using FS9 and the setup I'm aiming for is what Jim mentions on his site : K8055 for positional feedback and the KT5198 for motor control.

AndyT
09-27-2007, 04:19 AM
Dutchboy,
How about the open source? Same questions.

Prof Bill
10-02-2007, 10:11 AM
Hi All,

A reasonable suggestion for this new Forum would be to do some preliminary research on what has previously been successfully achieved in other application domains that might have covered topic areas that might easly be replicated!!

If I may suggest the following site The Open Source Motor Controller (OSMC) as a good place to start as it has lots of useful information!

http://www.robotpower.com/osmc_info/

I have built and integrated their designs into many experimental servo feedback systems.

There are many others

Bill

Dutchboy
10-02-2007, 03:02 PM
Hi Andy,

I am writing the code using C# and SimConnect (FSX only).
Currently, I have the implemented code to control the SSCII servo control board, and have started to implement code for the KT5198a motor control board. My inputs will use directinput, so anything that gets recognized as a joystick will work fine.

Of course, being open source, anyone can add code to the project in order to control other boards.

Dutchboy

Dutchboy
10-02-2007, 07:40 PM
Thanks Bill, that's a fantastic source for motor control ideas. I really like the sidewinder controller on there. Very good specs. Too bad you can't use it directly via serial control like the KT5198a. If only the KT5198a was just a tad bit beefier, then it would be perfect. 25 - 35 amps at 24volts would be great.

Dutchboy

Hi All,

A reasonable suggestion for this new Forum would be to do some preliminary research on what has previously been successfully achieved in other application domains that might have covered topic areas that might easly be replicated!!

If I may suggest the following site The Open Source Motor Controller (OSMC) as a good place to start as it has lots of useful information!

I have built and integrated their designs into many experimental servo feedback systems.

There are many others

Bill

Prof Bill
10-03-2007, 07:25 AM
Hi All,

Yesterday I was asked to "dump" a leather chair that we had bought a year or so ago!
It was one of those electric articulated chairs that one uses to fall asleep in front of the television at the end of a hard day!

I opened up the fabric underneath only to reveal a "superbly silent 12volt driven screw actuator". It has much potential for modification or direct application in moving platforms. I contacted the store where we bought it this morning and have just collected five various types of discarded actuators of varying speed and throw gratis!!

It might be worth investigating wherever you live on the globe if such actuators are available for experimentation. Good for supporting the global drive on recycling!!

Bill.

Dutchboy
10-03-2007, 01:02 PM
That's a great idea Bill! I'll have to look into electric vehicle chairs as well.

Roland
10-03-2007, 01:34 PM
Hi All,

There are many others

Bill

Thanks a lot for this great link, Bill.
It has so much info that I have been searching for a long time: Motor controllers and H-bridge drivers with all schematics and component specs listed! Fantastic. Seems I have missed out some new developments in this field as my H-bridge design now seems hopelessly outdated. Never too old to learn something new!

Prof Bill
10-03-2007, 05:47 PM
Many thanks for all your comments!

Here is another site that I have purchased some items from and contains a lot of information that might be helpful also!!

http://www.4qd.co.uk/

Bill.

RobiD
10-03-2007, 06:19 PM
Thanks Bill, that's a fantastic source for motor control ideas. I really like the sidewinder controller on there. Very good specs. Too bad you can't use it directly via serial control like the KT5198a. If only the KT5198a was just a tad bit beefier, then it would be perfect. 25 - 35 amps at 24volts would be great.

Dutchboy

Dutchboy,

Can it be made beefier? What would need to be done?

David

Dutchboy
10-03-2007, 10:32 PM
Well, the traces that lead from the mosfets to the motors need to be thicker, so soldering some copper on those would help. The main problem is that the mosfets are to close together to allow a really good heat sync/fan solution. I have managed to add a heat sync, but it's not that great because I had to use insulators between the mosfet and the heat sync. I would prefer to have a separate heat sysc for each mosfet.

Dutchboy

Dutchboy,

Can it be made beefier? What would need to be done?

David

RobiD
10-04-2007, 12:54 AM
Well, the traces that lead from the mosfets to the motors need to be thicker, so soldering some copper on those would help. The main problem is that the mosfets are to close together to allow a really good heat sync/fan solution. I have managed to add a heat sync, but it's not that great because I had to use insulators between the mosfet and the heat sync. I would prefer to have a separate heat sysc for each mosfet.

Dutchboy

What about mounting a fan over the mosfets for example http://www.robotpower.com/products/ under OSMC.

Could extra wire be run from the mosfets instead the beefing up the traces?

Dutchboy
10-04-2007, 02:49 AM
That may work ok. Keep in mind that I believe they are doubling up the mosfets in that design, so that it can handle the load with less heat.

Dutchboy

What about mounting a fan over the mosfets for example http://www.robotpower.com/products/ under OSMC.

Could extra wire be run from the mosfets instead the beefing up the traces?

wannabeaflyer
10-04-2007, 07:46 AM
Hi Guys just thought i'd chip in and say not forgotten and am busy trying to come to grips with Visual C# ( Headaches or what LOL:-) ) been tough going as i continually suffered mental block on the brain reading books and taking stuff in LOL;-0 .
Seriously though been doing a lot of reading and trying to break down MOPLAT OPEN SOURCE Code into blocks that i can understand (nothing wrong with the program just brain fade on my part ) thanks to the stuff you guys have put on the FTP site and numerous Bargins from E-Bay i am finally turning the corner, Yesterday i had a Light bulb above the head moment and all of a sudden i can relate to how things work in the code and can at last look forward to trying to create a version for my platform based on the code you guys released ( sorry but am one of these guys that needed a jump start when it comes to Programming ) so thanks to the efforts of Jim, Kranky, Dutchboy , the others i am sort o getting there .. will keep ya'll posted

Dutchboy
10-04-2007, 04:08 PM
Hi Wannabeaflyer,

Glad to hear things are clicking into place. Keep in mind that the code that I released is a prototype, so it hasn't been divided out into indivdual objects yet. I will have more time after my wedding and honeymoon. Most likely the beginning of November to continue the MoPlat saga.

Dutchboy

wannabeaflyer
10-06-2007, 09:02 AM
Hi Dutch Boy a appreciate what your saying about the code . for me iot really was the key to my starting to get my system uop to the next phase .. am still working on the priciple that if i can reliably get info to and from FSX uing simconnect c# then im on my way :-) will need to en#ventually communicate with FSX , K5895 Motor Controller and My K8055 USB interface card so no pressure there then LOL:-) ... Mind you i have overlooked the fact that both my interface cards are programmed in VB ( D'oh ) but as jim has relesed code using VB to drive his cards i am assuming it can be done . so Congratulation on the wedding nad hooneymoon have a great time ;-) . and as always will keep you guys posted ..