PDA

View Full Version : Build The Master Card

Gaspode
08-30-2007, 10:02 AM
Fairly hard to tell from the title, I know, but I've built the master card from opencockpits, and not only have I build the board - it works, and not only works, but worked first time.

I had originally gone FSbus, but decided to change and bought the board and wow, it works!!!

I'm building a budget mcp (budget will be the order of the day) and trying to work out how to connect all the switches etc, as of course OC has 9 switches to 10 pins, where as FSBus had 1 switch to each pair...

I'm rapt!!!

Bob Reed
08-30-2007, 10:33 AM
Hello and welcome. The 10th pin is the common and goes to all the switches. The other 9, one goes to each switch. Hope this helps....

Kennair
08-31-2007, 08:37 AM
Good on you Gaspode,

When I built my master card, it didn't work first time....GULP! But I managed to find the offending IC and replaced it for about $1.50 and voila!! It's a great piece of kit, and when you combine it with the powerful SIOC programming language, there won't be a system you can't replicate with it as you can overcome all FS shortcomings. It will take some time to get your head around though, so search the OC forums and ask lots.

Have fun,

Ken.

jmig
08-31-2007, 09:51 AM
Fairly hard to tell from the title, I know, but I've built the master card from opencockpits, and not only have I build the board - it works, and not only works, but worked first time.

You are a better man than I am. :D I bought mine already assembled. And, I haven't even wired it up yet.

Gaspode
09-01-2007, 07:11 AM
Well not only did I build the master, I've built the display one - and that too worked first time!!!!!

I enjoyed soldering these cards, I had a nightmare with my home made ones for FSBus, and that's partly why I stopped building, as well as having a daughter and changing countries!

I've started working on my MCP - now I'm building the budget kind, off the shelf items, but all I'm worried about is that it works.

As I've used parts from my old project it's worked out a lot cheaper, but even if I bought all the parts, it's probably cost less than $100us to build my MCP (add the two boards of course to that) but I've got a fully functioning MCP when I get it done.

Just got to work out the led "8's" and wire them. (A lot harder when they're mounted on a veraboard.

Will have to get pictures when I'm done. Next board after that will be the EFIS - as I've got spots clear on the switch matrix, but need at least another display board for the v/s indicator before looking at building the radios.

Looking forward to quizzing people about soic as I start to look towards the roof :)

jmig
09-01-2007, 11:03 AM
I admire you Gaspode. Although, I grew up working on radios as a kid, I am now afraid of wiring and soldering electronics. When I was a kid, the irons were 150 watts, today 15-30 watts. We used 12 gage wire back then. Today, it is so small there isn’t a gage number high enough to rate it. :D Then there are my now bi-speckled eyes and clumsy fingers...I won’t go on.

I almost find it interesting. I am doing anything and everything to delay hooking up the wiring. My latest excuse is that it is too hot. Hopefully, it will soon be too cold. :roll: Alas, I will have to tackle it eventually.

Gaspode
09-01-2007, 11:46 PM
Looks like I spoke too soon about the graphics card.

I've hooked up 1 7 segment, and when I put the pin 3 on the first connector (1 pin of 16) I get the 8

2pin of the 16 - missing the lower right segment.

3pin only shows the bottom line, and pretty much all the rest have variations of different combos.

Anyone know what I may have done wrong?