PDA

View Full Version : Annoying Recurring Tone in 737

ak49er
07-06-2007, 11:52 AM
So, last night I took a nice nighttime IFR flight from Pheonix Sky Harbor to Dallas Fort Worth, I set up my flight plan, obtained clearance and set out on my journey. After a bumpy climb, I settled out to cruise and performed a final check. While looking at charts halfway throught my flight, a Morse code like tone started repeating every several seconds or so out of my left speaker. I checked all avionics and panels but could not see a corresponding light flash in sequence with the repeating tone. I turned off my avionics and it stopped. I retuned the radios but still the tone kept repeating every several seconds. I thought it might be a SELCAL message code but this plane (THE 737 Experience) is not equipped for SELCAL. I remember this problem from the default 737-400 from FS9. Needless to say this tone grew annoying and I ended my flight with the sound turned off. Does any one know what this tone is simulating and how to acknowledge it or turn it off? This dampened the experience of an other wise flawless flight.

Bob Reed
07-06-2007, 11:56 AM
That is the VOR ident. You tuned your VOR radios and one of them was told to id the VOR. The morse code you get confirms you are tuned to the proper one. Turn ident off on that vor radio.

Michael Carter
07-06-2007, 01:01 PM
Now that you know what it is, you can use it on your flights.

Each time a nav-aid is tuned it is suppose to be positively identified using that Morse code you are hearing. After ID'ing the station, you can then turn it off.

The Morse identifier is on charts in a box near the station. Sometimes with an arrow from the box pointing to the station if it's not obvious. In congested airspace with a lot of stations close together, the ID box might be a couple of inches away with that arrow.

It is possible to receive the wrong station on the right frequency depending upon your distance from each. That is why it is important to positively identify the station you are using to navigate.

ak49er
07-06-2007, 03:40 PM
Thank-you very much, this issue is finally put to rest. I can't wait to try it out tonight.