PDA

View Full Version : anyone know where to get realistic bass shakers for pilot seat.

Geremy Britton
08-07-2007, 05:20 AM
Hi all,

I can't seem to find any bass shakers for my pilot seat - i have come across buttkicker but thats just for an office chair with a single pole running down the bottom of the chair. Mine is mounted on an MDF box.

If someone could provide me with some websites, at reasonable cost, to find one that would be great! :)

Thanks ,

Geremy

Kennair
08-07-2007, 06:16 AM
Hi Geremy,

You can make them by hacking old speaker cones and attaching metal weights to the coils. These can be mounted directly to the underside of your seat. When connected to a sub woofer output of your amp it should give you all the bump you need. I say should because I haven't managed to make them yet. I remember seeing instructions on a website years ago, but just can't place it at the moment.

The other option is just to put your computer sub-woofer under you seat.

Good luck,

Ken.

Westozy
08-07-2007, 07:23 AM
I have 12" subs under each of my seats driven by a small amplifier, it's nothing special but it still kicks arse, literally! You don't have to spend big bucks for a good result in sound. Check out "Tactile transducers" on google, that should be of help if you want to make your own shakers. Here's a good description - http://www.baudline.com/erik/bass/tactile_faq.html

Regards, Gwyn

Kennair
08-07-2007, 08:30 AM
Hi Gwyn,

That's what I intend to do also. Must feel great on landing and wheels up. Best bang for buck (literally).

I found the website that details the home built jobs I mentioned initially. It's at Flightsim.com. Dates back to 2002, but sound design hasn't changed any in 5 years (unlike FS). Section 8 details the design of tactile transducers.

http://www.flightsim.com/cgi/kds?$=main/howto/diy/index.htm

Ken.

JBaymore
08-07-2007, 08:53 AM
Go to Parts Express. Do a search for Aura Bass Shakers.

I have them in my pilots seat. Awesome.

The best reason to do this versus the sub-woofer in the seat approach is the SOUND. There IS none to speak of. So to get solid vibrational information, you don't haveto "blast" the sound. I used to have a sub-woofer in the seat. It too generated vibrations... but it first generated a LOT of sound. Too much low end for realism. Now I have the normal sub-woofer in the pit set to generate the correct low end rumble sounds...... and the bass shakers to give the right level of vibration. It "disconnects" the two so that they are separately controllable.

I went the "buy" route instead of the "build" route for transducers because when I look at what my time is worth...... the sale price on the bass shakers seemed to make it WELL worth the $. To make them would be a lot of time and STILL a bunch of $ too.

You do not need much power to drive them to rattle the fillings out of your teeth. So don't go crazy with a power amp. I have one driving mine that is 25W. It is barely turned on and I get a high level of realism on runway tire rumble, hitting the centerline lights (Areosoft AES services effect), touchdown, liftoff, and gear up/down that is VERY believable.

I'll be back with a link in a second.

Here's the Aura information:

http://www.aurasound.com/public/bassshaker/body.html

Here's what I have in my seat (no longer available):

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=299-027

Here's the suggested replacement:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?DID=7&PartNumber=299-028

Here's the amp I am driving them with:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=300-782

And here's the docs on the construction of them into my pit:

http://www.simviation.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1177617086

Hope this is of help.

best,

.....................john

Tomlin
08-07-2007, 09:08 AM
The buttkicker that I have works great, and although it is marketed as attaching to your seat center post, I see absolutely no reason why it wouldnt work just as well, or better, attached to a center post that is firmly attached to the base of the simulator, underneath. Also, I love the fact that not only does it give the bumps of landing/takeoff/gearup and down, but also it provides a very, almost un-noticeable, slight vibration that you really dont even notice until you turn it off.

JBaymore
08-07-2007, 09:27 AM
...... but also it provides a very, almost un-noticeable, slight vibration that you really dont even notice until you turn it off.

Yeah... that is very, very true.

I have the sound file for my APU frequency tweeked and adjusted in volume so that when it alone is running I can just BARELY feel a tiny vibration. You only really notice it when it starts as the APU spools up and when after a flight it stops as the APU spools down. Totally unobtrusive and one of those details that you wouldn't notice if it wasn't there... but once you have it....you realize how much it adds.

It's just that tiny little "extra". :p

best,

...................john

Geremy Britton
08-07-2007, 09:59 AM
That's great it has helped me out - hoping to build one or buy a cheap one in the coming months ahead!

Gez

Kennair
08-07-2007, 11:00 AM
John,

Thanks for the detailed information. I think I'll follow your lead and go down the spend road on this one. I have had the home-made instructions for about 5 years and haven't started for the reasons you explained, time and money! These look like a reasonably priced option, however it might be a different case here in Aus.

Ken.

Kennair
08-08-2007, 04:24 AM
For anyone interested in these transducers in Australia, after much searching around I found that Jaycar Electronics sells another brand called "Response" with the same specifications for $39.95AUD each. You can get the Aura's on ebay but shipping will set you back an extra $94USD!

Ken.

JBaymore
08-08-2007, 11:23 AM
Good find for the folks in your neck of the woods, Ken.

best,

.................john

jmig
08-12-2007, 08:39 PM
John thanks for this info. This looks like something I need to purchase. Do you know if it will provide a rumble when the speed brakes are out? In real airplanes you can always tell by the vibration. Can't in FS. SB lights are unrealistic.

JBaymore
08-12-2007, 08:56 PM
Do you know if it will provide a rumble when the speed brakes are out? In real airplanes you can always tell by the vibration.

John,

You are welcome.

The only way this would happen is if you have some sort of sound file tied to the speed brakes that has a low frequency component to it. I KNOW that there IS a payware add on that does do that... but I can't remember the name of it for the life of me.

The bass shakers only react to the sound coming out of the sim. And only to the very low frequencies. You can actually tailor sound files by putting in REALLY low frequencies that really are almost inaudible on the regular sub-woofer..... but kick you in the butt. You need a good sound editing program for that though.

SO the answer is "yes" .... if you purchase that add on that I can't remember the name of! :wink:

And I can stress how much this adds to the pit. DO IT!

best,

.....................john

jmig
08-12-2007, 09:02 PM
Edit a sound file for the speedbrake...one more thing to learn in MSFS. LOL I have never known a hobby that had so many side hobbies.

Thanks for the info. I will add the device you suggested.

JBaymore
08-12-2007, 10:32 PM
John,

One of the effects that I absolutely LOVE with the bass shakers installed is from the Aerosoft AES services package. Among a RAFT of great stuff that this add on does for an airport (it truly is a MUST HAVE for fs2004) is that it installs an effect that creates the feel of the recessed centerline lights on a runway.

So when you are taxiing to the active and if you cross a runway, you FEEL the bump as the nosewheel hits the lights on the centerline as you cross. (Sometimes.... only if you hit one. It is that detailed.)

Then when you take off or land, if you are on the centerline ( ;) )....... your butt get to feel the thump, thump, thump right in tune with your groundspeed.

It is AMAZING what a little realism thing that does.

best,

...................john

NicD
08-12-2007, 10:43 PM
PM sounds will do the taxiway bump thing too (and its free). Just use the bump.wav file in your /pmsounds/sounds/ folder. Once shakers are installed I'll be editing this file with the low freqs to get the full jolt too!

Bob Reed
08-12-2007, 10:44 PM
PMsounds has a speed break rumble in it and it is a free software from them. It is here http://www.projectmagenta.com/products/pmsounds.html Hope this helps!

Westozy
08-13-2007, 05:04 AM
PMDGs speedbrake is really loud, it shakes the room. I can't find the sound file to edit it, does anyone know where it is hidden? I've looked in the usual sound folders.

Gwyn

jmig
08-13-2007, 08:03 AM
PMsounds has a speed break rumble in it and it is a free software from them. It is here http://www.projectmagenta.com/products/pmsounds.html Hope this helps!

Downloading it as I type. Shoot, now I may have to take back some of those bad things I said about them in another thread. ;)

JBaymore
08-13-2007, 10:49 AM
PM sounds will do the taxiway bump thing too (and its free). Just use the bump.wav file in your /pmsounds/sounds/ folder. Once shakers are installed I'll be editing this file with the low freqs to get the full jolt too!

Nic,

Yeah.... but I bought the AES services for the OTHER stuff that it does. :wink: The bumps are just a nice added "bonus".

As to the PM Sounds...... WHICH version are you talking about? I have two of them...... one comes with a stock set of sounds installed on a list on the right hand side. You click or double click on the listed filenames and they activate or deactivate.

The OTHER one is a FAR more complex one ... allowing you to use programming logic as to what plays when...and if I remember correctly, does not come pre set up with any sounds.

best,

......................john

JBaymore
08-13-2007, 10:56 AM

AHA..... great. Thanks for the tip. I might have to split the two bass shakers I have driven from the one amp to two SEPARATE amps and channels...so that I can drive the second one from the PM sounds program running on one of the other computers. Hum........

WHY do I keep having htese thoughts that cause me MORE WORK? :wink:

best,

....................john

NicD
08-13-2007, 07:29 PM
Yeah PMsounds is one of those beasts... more you play with it the more you wanna play with it! I'm getting more used to the script language now and getting good results. I think I must have the latter version that you refer to John (latest from PM site too).

The other day I got PACK fans working with wav files from PMDG_747. Now when I switch packs from OFF to AUTO the fans spool-up, HIGH gives double the fan noise, and OFF spools them down. It is sad that things like this can get a grown man excited... but there ya go! :lol:

I must try the speedbrake rumble.. just haven't found a decent wav file for it yet. What event name (wav filename) shows up in PMsounds when you activate the speedbrake?

jmig
08-13-2007, 08:07 PM
I thought of a question while working. How do I drive these things? Do I just come out of the sound card speakers? If so, will that turn off the headset or visa versa? Or, do I need to get a second sound card for my system?

JBaymore
08-13-2007, 08:18 PM
John,

See the last link in my list I gave; it is a documentation of the installation in my pit on another site. I have a splitter in the lead coming from the soundcard. One set of leads goes to the normal speaker system in the pit. The other goes to the sub-woofer amp that drives the shakers.

best,

........john

ivar hestnes
08-14-2007, 03:35 PM
This thread at FDS is also of big interest regarding sound.

Take a look. :)

http://www.flightdecksolutions.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3102

Bob Reed
08-14-2007, 03:53 PM
Yeah PMsounds is one of those beasts... more you play with it the more you wanna play with it! I'm getting more used to the script language now and getting good results. I think I must have the latter version that you refer to John (latest from PM site too).

The other day I got PACK fans working with wav files from PMDG_747. Now when I switch packs from OFF to AUTO the fans spool-up, HIGH gives double the fan noise, and OFF spools them down. It is sad that things like this can get a grown man excited... but there ya go! :lol:

I must try the speedbrake rumble.. just haven't found a decent wav file for it yet. What event name (wav filename) shows up in PMsounds when you activate the speedbrake?

Hey Nic.. I will be doing some tweaking on the sim tonight and I will see what it is called for ya.

wollo
08-21-2007, 01:52 PM
I use a TFS2 from www.ivibe.com. Is works excellent with MSFS.
you get a full range of vibration from flaps, brakes whatever. when you bank or pull G's the feeling runs through the seat. I couldn't be without mine ever again.

ivar hestnes
08-21-2007, 03:40 PM
I got two AURA-shakers in my mail today.

Run a quick test on the floor with an subwoofer amplifier from a car and I was amazed. Cant wait to test them installed in a seat:D

It was both "shaken and stirred":D

Will try to use PM-sounds for the sound configuration when time comes. That is an amazing program. Lots of possibilities.

Kennair
08-22-2007, 06:21 AM
OK an update on my previous response re the shakers. I visited Westoz's sim where he's using large bass speakers under his seats. Well I picked up two 15" subs from a roadside rubbish pickup and they work great! Yes someone was throwing them out!! I'm running them off a gutted Creative 2.1 speaker amp at about 25W and they give a real rumble in the bum! Just need to tweak the sound files for each aircraft to give the best feel.

And the cost....... $0 (already had the Creative amp)

Ken :)

JBaymore
08-22-2007, 11:48 PM
Ken,

Can't beat the price! ;)

I do have to say though that I changed FROM the subwoofers to the Aura units....... and there is no COMPARISON. 100% of the ERP is direct coupled to the physical surface you mount them on. No sound but....... HUGE vibrations (if you want them).

Personally I did find it better. You're mileage may vary. :cool:

best,

..................john

Kennair
08-23-2007, 08:01 AM
John,

Ahh yes I have noticed that the audio component produced from the speaker is a little annoying. Nothing too disruptive, but when all you want is vibration, to have some speech come through as well, is a little unrealistic. They'll do for now though, and knowing I can pick up shakers for $40 each, it's not an unreasonable option in the future.

Thanks for the tip.

Ken.

warvet
04-15-2008, 07:07 PM
I dont know if this will help any of you but I took two big 14" subwoofers from an old home sterio unit a friend was throwing away bolted them under each of my pilot seats and then spliced them and soldered appropriate connectors to fit CPU sound card connections. I put in a really nice Sound Blaster sound card SB32 in an old CPU I have with a junk vid card, no frills at all. Then I loaded PM sounds program, wideclient and internet network card. Then all I did was check off on the sound list with PM systems stuff lke Bump.wav, Roll etc only things that were feel related all other things like warning etc were clicked off. Now when i turn on FS it reads that computer and emits the appropriate sounds which are translated to only physical tranducor style feelings in the seats. This keeps me from having to make everything unrealistically loud or vibrating the crap out of the sim and it works like a charm.
I used to have the butkickers but sold them because they just created way to much vibration and it was annoying.JMO

Tim
A340
Canada

jmig
04-16-2008, 08:00 AM
The Bass Shaker is working well. I mounted the control panel on the left side console behind the ejection seat where I can reach it. Since, I tend to fy several different planes from most of you guys, I have to adjust the vol and HZ of each different airplane.

Matt Olieman
04-16-2008, 08:07 AM
I dont know if this will help any of you but I took two big 14" subwoofers from an old home sterio unit a friend was throwing away bolted them under each of my pilot seats and then spliced them and soldered appropriate connectors to fit CPU sound card connections. I put in a really nice Sound Blaster sound card SB32 in an old CPU I have with a junk vid card, no frills at all. Then I loaded PM sounds program, wideclient and internet network card. Then all I did was check off on the sound list with PM systems stuff lke Bump.wav, Roll etc only things that were feel related all other things like warning etc were clicked off. Now when i turn on FS it reads that computer and emits the appropriate sounds which are translated to only physical tranducor style feelings in the seats. This keeps me from having to make everything unrealistically loud or vibrating the crap out of the sim and it works like a charm.
I used to have the butkickers but sold them because they just created way to much vibration and it was annoying.JMO

Tim
A340
Canada

I have a similar set up as Tim's. I use two 12" Sub-Woofers with Bass Booster 200 watt Amps, mounted under the floor. Mount the speaker pointing to the floor, about 6 inches from the floor. Don't box them in, you don't want to hear it, just feel it :) It works fantastic in my cockpit, particularly rolling down the runway, gear-up and gear-down.

Tomlin
04-16-2008, 08:10 AM
I have a similar set up as Tim's. I use two 12" Sub-Woofers with Bass Booster 200 watt Amps, mounted under the floor. Mount the speaker pointing to the floor, about 6 inches from the floor. Don't box them in, you don't want to hear it, just feel it :) It works fantastic in my cockpit, particularly rolling down the runway, gear-up and gear-down.

Matt, thanks for pointing out not to box the speakers in...I would have not thought too much about the difference it would make...

Thanks!

Padraig
04-17-2008, 02:42 PM
I never thought of using Subs for gear up and gear down etc. Sounds like an interesting thing to try out for the sim, but my sim is going upstairs and the flooring is timber, and my house is connected on both sides. Im sure the neighbors would be wondering if theres an earthquake or something when I call for "positive rate, Gear up / Gear down" or rolling.

I haven't really looked much into PM sounds but I am a user. From what I see here you all seem to always say its a top notch program. I might start learning the script language for it soon.

Nick1150
10-16-2010, 12:15 PM
I know it is an old post, but it includes so much useful information about bass shakers that it's worth reminding...

I am researching for 2 shakers right now, and all info above helped me out.

Regards

obama6493
02-18-2011, 07:08 AM
The Bass Shaker is working well. I mounted the control panel on the left side console behind the ejection seat where I can reach it. Since, I tend to fy several different planes from most of you guys, I have to adjust the vol and HZ of each different airplane.

ian@737ng.co.uk
02-20-2011, 02:37 AM
hello chaps.........
one of the members here, Richard Hutchinson, bought a couple of bass shakers relatively cheaply here in the UK. when i was talking to him, he was quite enthusiastic about them. think i'll mail him and point him at this thread so he can input his source.
regards

ian

richard hutchinson
02-20-2011, 05:08 AM
[QUOTE=ian@737ng.co.uk;116495]hello chaps.........
one of the members here, Richard Hutchinson, bought a couple of bass shakers relatively cheaply here in the UK. when i was talking to him, he was quite enthusiastic about them. think i'll mail him and point him at this thread so he can input his source.
regards

Hi Folks

I bought two bass vibration units from CPC Farnell in the UK. They only produce vibration and nothing else. They have to be firmly bolted to the floor as they have no cone, just a metal plate. They are around £50 each and are only 4 ohms so I installed two in series to get 8ohms, and put one either side under the Capt and F/O seats. The effect is incredible as they can go down to 7Hz!! I can't find the invoice but if you ring them they will give you the part number. They are well worth the money, but the wife will moan about the ceiling vibrating and the plaster falling off ;-)) They are metal cased and about 5" round.

Enjoy!

AVIATor-Olav
11-30-2012, 01:50 PM
Anyone know if the Aura shakers can be driven by a regulear stereo amplifier or do they require their own amp? If so, anyone know of a good 220 volt option?

Cessna172sim
12-16-2012, 04:12 PM
There are at least two great options:
1. Aura Shaker (needs amp)
Aura Bass Shaker (http://www.bassshakers.com/bass-shaker-reviews/aura-bass-shaker/)

2. Buttkicker Gamer 2 unit. (comes with a good amp and remote control cable controller)
ButtKicker® (http://www.thebuttkicker.com/gaming/)

We are using Buttkicker in our Cessna simulator. It is super solid and good product:

jmig
12-16-2012, 05:20 PM
Any amp of sufficient wattage can drive the speakers. The bass shaker I have is driven by a 25 amp which has a filter to only let the low frequency sounds through. I can adjust it from around 200 Hz to 20 Hz, or so.

HondaCop
12-17-2012, 08:07 AM
My buttkicker has never failed me. We've been married for 21 years! lol